Christmas used to be fun. No, not for the reasons you're thinking. When I was younger it was great opening presents and getting new toys but even then that's not what it was about. Christmas used to be the time when everyone would come over to my grandmother's house, no matter where they lived, and we'd catch up on what was new and talk about current events. Everyone always had interesting things to say and opinions varied. The dinner table would be crowded with up to ten people and then the infamous "kids' table." Conversations would range from hollywood gaffes to movies to politics. We'd have a huge dinner, usually with ham as the requisite centerpiece, then coffee, my grandmother's famous apple pie or carrot cake and the annual setback game. That was Christmas. Every year I'd look forward to it but things have changed and now I lament the Christmas that was and, sadly, is no more.
What's different? People move away and it's, understandably, harder to come back home. Two aunts live across the country and my brother lives in the midwest. Some people came for Thanksgiving, others for Christmas, and it was great to see them but it just isn't the same if everyone isn't here for Christmas. And so it has been for the past 8 or 9 years. I've lost count. This year we didn't have Christmas, not on Christmas day at least. Plans just worked out better for us to get together a few days after Christmas. Not everyone was there and it made me sad. I don't think we'll ever get that Christmas tradition back and each passing year the memories fade a little bit more and I'm a little less disappointed.
12.30.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think you need to start a new set of traditions. It happens to all of us as relatives and friends move away or pass away. It is not too late!
Post a Comment